2016 French Academy of Surgery Exchange Program
The American Surgical Association announces an exciting opportunity for three of its mid-career members.
In October 2015, three French surgeons from the French Academy of Surgery attended the ACS Clinical Congress in Chicago, IL, after which ASA President James S. Economou, M.D., Ph.D., accompanied them as they visited Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri, the University of Chicago Medicine in Illinois, and the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in Madison, for a series of evening dinners and morning scientific lectures.
The French Academy has now asked the ASA to identify three mid-career Fellows to participate in a similar program in the fall of 2016 in France, the schedule for which follows. The program below is provisional for the days of the University visits; the arrival and departure dates are fixed.
Sunday, September 25, 2016:
Arrival at Charles de Gaulle airport, Paris, then departure the same day to Strasbourg, to be hosted by Dr. Philippe Bachelier
Monday, September 26th:
Lectures at and visit of the University of Strasbourg; late afternoon departure for Montpellier, to be hosted by Dr. Hugues Duffau
Tuesday, September 27th:
Lectures at and visit of the University of Montpellier; late afternoon departure for Paris
Wednesday – Friday, September 28th - 30th:
French Congress of Surgery
Saturday, October 1st:
Lectures at and visit of the University of Paris IV Hôpital Necker
Saturday afternoon, October 1, or Sunday, October 2, 2016:
Departure from Charles de Gaulle airport
What Is Covered:
- Outside of the French Congress of Surgery, all expenses will be paid for by the Universities of Strasbourg, Montpellier, and Paris IV Hôpital Necker
- French Congress of Surgery
What Is Not Covered (i.e., what each ASA Fellow will be responsible for):
- Transatlantic flight to and from Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport
- Accommodations during the French Congress of Surgery
||Any mid-career ASA Fellow in good-standing is welcome to apply, and must be available to travel during the dates of September 25 – October 2, 2016.
Applications Must Include:
- A cover letter outlining:
- The lecture(s) you would potentially deliver at the Universities of Strasbourg, Montpellier, and Paris IV Hôpital Necker, and at the French Congress of Surgery
- The ways in which this opportunity would enhance your surgical practice and/or research, or other anticipated benefits
- Your Curriculum Vitae
||The deadline to submit applications for the 2016 Program has passed.
|Notification of Award:
||Applications will be reviewed by the ASA Council at its meeting on January 16, 2016. Applicants will then be notified whether they have been selected for this French Academy of Surgery Exchange by January 31, 2016.