2023 ASA-ESA Exchange Program
The Exchange Program between the American Surgical Association and the European Surgical Association (ESA) represents an exciting opportunity for ASA Fellows. The purpose of the ASA-ESA Exchange Program is twofold:
- To create an opportunity for members of each organization to network with members of the other; and
- To share information about the respective organizations, including history and key papers.
The Exchange Program consists of two members per year from the ASA who will attend the ESA Annual Meeting, and vice versa. The ESA has now asked the ASA to identify two Fellows to attend the 30th Anniversary of the ESA, May 11-13, 2023, in Bordeaux, France.
The host organization will cover the costs of registration, association-sponsored social events, and hotel lodging only for each exchange member. Each of the exchange members will be introduced during the opening ceremony and will be permitted a brief comment. The photographs and abbreviated biographies of each exchange member will be published in the program book. The exchange members will be responsible for arranging and paying for the costs of travel and incidentals, including lodging for any visits or side trips to national centers outside of the Annual Meetings of the respective associations. The exchange members will be encouraged to submit abstracts to the Program Committee by the regular submission deadline, for presentation consideration at the scientific session. These would be reviewed by the Program Committee through the standard process, and selection would be determined on a competitive basis. There would be no guarantee that an exchange memberís work would be accepted for presentation.
What Is Covered:
- Registration for the ESA Annual Meeting
- Association-Sponsored Social Events at the Annual Meeting
- Hotel Lodging during the Annual Meeting
What Is Not Covered (i.e., what each ASA exchange member) will be responsible for:
- Airfare and Ground Transportation
- Lodging for any visits or side trips to national centers outside of the Annual Meeting
Qualifications: Any ASA Fellow in good-standing is welcome to apply, and must be available to attend the ESA Annual Meeting, May 11-13, 2023, Bordeaux, France.
Applications Must Include:
- A letter of intent, which may include:
- The ways in which this opportunity would enhance your surgical practice and/or research, or other anticipated benefits such as networking
- The subjects of any abstracts you might potentially submit to the ESA Program Committee, for presentation consideration
- The national centers that you might potentially visit outside of the Annual Meeting in Bordeaux, France
- Your Curriculum Vitae
Applications for the ASA-ESA Exchange Program will be reviewed by the ASA Council, who will select two exchange members and one alternate.
The application deadline for the 2023 ASA-ESA Exchange Program is July 22, 2022.
|July 22, 2022
||Deadline for self-nominations, to include a letter of intent and CV
|August 19, 2022
||Completion of review process by ASA Council
|August 26, 2022
||Notification of selected exchange members
|May 11-13, 2023
||ESA Annual Meeting, Bordeaux, France
Please note the timeline of reviewing and notifying applicants is estimated and dates may vary slightly.
Please note that this is an online process, and only online applications will be considered.