2021 ASA-ESA Exchange Program
The Exchange Program between the American Surgical Association and the European Surgical Association (ESA) represents an exciting opportunity for ASA Fellows. The purpose of the ASA-ESA Exchange Program is twofold:
- To create an opportunity for members of each organization to network with members of the other; and
- To share information about the respective organizations, including history and key papers.
The Exchange Program is meant to consist of up to two members ("exchange members") per year from the ASA who will attend the ESA Annual Meeting, and vice versa. However, since the 2020 ASA and ESA Annual Meetings were canceled, those Fellows selected for the 2020 Exchange Program will now participate in the 2021 Program. To ensure the continuity of the Exchange Program, for 2021 only, one additional ASA member will be selected to attend the ESA Annual Meeting (and vice versa).
The host organization will cover the costs of registration, association-sponsored social events, and hotel lodging only for each exchange member. Each of the exchange members will be introduced during the opening ceremony and will be permitted a three-minute comment. The photographs and biographies of each exchange member will be published in the program book. The exchange members will be responsible for arranging and paying for the costs of travel and incidentals, including lodging for any visits or side trips to national centers outside of the Annual Meetings of the respective associations. The exchange members will be encouraged to submit abstracts to the Program Committee by the regular submission deadline, for presentation consideration at the scientific session. These would be reviewed by the Program Committee through the standard process, and selection would be determined on a competitive basis. There would be no guarantee that an exchange member’s work would be accepted for presentation.
What Is Covered:
- Registration for the ESA Annual Meeting
- Association-Sponsored Social Events at the Annual Meeting
- Hotel Lodging during the Annual Meeting
What Is Not Covered (i.e., what each ASA exchange member) will be responsible for:
- Airfare and Ground Transportation
- Lodging for any visits or side trips to national centers outside of the Annual Meeting
Qualifications: Any ASA Fellow in good-standing is welcome to apply, and must be available to attend the ESA Annual Meeting, May 13-16, 2021, Köln (Cologne), Germany.
Applications Must Include:
- A letter of intent, which may include:
- The ways in which this opportunity would enhance your surgical practice and/or research, or other anticipated benefits such as networking
- The subjects of any abstracts you might potentially submit to the ESA Program Committee, for presentation consideration
- The national centers that you might potentially visit outside of the Annual Meeting in Cologne, Germany
- Your Curriculum Vitae
Applications for the ASA-ESA Exchange Program will be reviewed by the ASA Council, who will select one additional exchange member and one alternate.
August 12, 2020
|By July 1, 2020
||Request for self-nominations
|August 12, 2020
||Deadline for self-nominations, to include a letter of intent and CV
|August 30, 2020
||Completion of review process by ASA Council
|September 6, 2020
||Notification of selected exchange members
|May 13-16, 2021
||ESA Annual Meeting, May 13-16, 2021, Cologne, Germany