ALLAN E. DUMONT
1924 - 2017
Allan Dumont was a revered surgeon, surgical investigator, and educator. A native New Yorker, he was raised in Brooklyn, attending Boy's High School and then Hobart College where he was a member of the U.S. Navy Reserve Officer's Training Corps. He then attended the NYU School of Medicine, an institution to which he would be joined professionally for the remainder of his career, graduating AOA in 1948. He completed his residency in surgery at Bellevue Hospital on the Third (NYU) Surgical Division, interrupted by active duty for two years with the U.S. Navy. Upon completion of his Chief Residency he joined the NYU faculty, and was immediately drawn to surgical research.
Under the guidance of Dr. John Mulholland and other esteemed mentors at Bellevue, he would soon focus his investigative energies on the lymphatic system and its role in the pathophysiology of a broad spectrum of disease processes. His publications and research on wound healing, tissue regeneration, cirrhosis, heart failure, pancreatitis, and filariasis, integrated his deep understanding of the role of the lymphatic circulation. His clinical research on thoracic duct drainage brought his research interest directly into clinical therapy. He published extensively with articles in Nature and the New England Journal as well as the Annals of Surgery and other leading surgical journals as well as 25 book chapters. He was the father of the journal Lymphology of which he served as editor from 1974 to 1984 and twice served as President of the International Society of Lymphology from 1980 to 1984. He received the Purkinje Medal of the Czechoslavak Medical Society in recognition of his scientific contributions and the Solomon A. Berson Alumni Achievement Award in Health Science from the NYU School of Medicine.
Bellevue Hospital clearly played a special role in his professional career. He led the Third and Fourth Surgical Divisions at Bellevue and then Associate Director of the Department of Surgery at Bellevue until his retirement in 1990. In 1973 he was named the Jules Leonard Whitehill Professor of Surgery.
Upon his retirement, the Surgical Library at Bellevue Hospital was named in his honor. He retired to his family home in New Hartford, Connecticut and continued to teach as Professor of Clinical Surgery at the University of Connecticut Health Sciences Center and as a Consultant in Surgery at St. Francis Hospital. Married to his wife, Joan, in 1949, they had three sons and seven grandchildren. His adoring family believed that his greatest legacy was that "he lived life according to his belief that every individual in our society deserves to be treated with respect."
Dr. DANIEL F. ROSES, MD
Dr. H. LEON PACHTER, MD